Tuesday, October 12, 2010

San Antonio

Clayton had a seminar in San Antonio last weekend so we took the opportunity to spend a few days away. We had a great time on the Riverwalk, had some great food and saw some old friends. One of the sites that we checked out was the Tower of the Americas. What an awesome view. The picture above is in front of the fountain in front of the tower.
Another favorite attraction was the San Jose Mission. It has been restored to it's original look and is absolutely beautiful. Here are a few pictures:



This is the staircase going up to the bell tower.



The famous Rose window on the side of the church. This is a symbol all across San Antonio.


Picture of the grounds and far wall





Indian housing on the outer walls of the mission. Clayton is standing in the doorway but a bit hidden in the shadows.





I love the architecture and engravings on the back door of the church.






Picture of the church and the convent

Picture of the bell tower through the trees.
I didn't take a picture but there was a replica of the entire grounds in one of the buildings with a narrative of a day in the life at the mission. I also didn't take a picture but there was a stone mill where they ground the wheat they grew. It was really interesting.
I loved this mission and would encourage everyone to visit if given the chance.








No comments: